Friday, July 16, 2004

Nightfalls again

What another odd bizzare and happy day.
Fifteen years ago I'd be dead. The medical technology to keep people alive is really pretty good especially here in the Midwest.  I had  whats called "Lithotripsy" today. I had a kidney stone (we started with about 14, two passed on their own, One that was 2" X 3/4 around was chipped out by the doc with a laser knife and a teeny air hammer and today they blasted one) that was in a position to be smashed and so they did it. there is a window because of the kidney and the pelvic bone that the stone has to be in. He saw it during a visit yesterday and today they blasted it. Next week, should I live that long, on my birthday theyre going to dig out the debris. IF I dont piss it out first. In the last 26 months I've had an heart attack, a quadruple bypass, and kidney failure due to a stone blocking my ureter. My day job saved me cause I have insurance. Im kinda loaded on Vicodin right now, My back has a good size bruise on it where they blasted me and without a lil help it hurts.  Nothing like pissing the fire that accompanies the internal removal of the stones via hammers and chisels, but nasty nonetheless. It was pretty funny. I was calm and they x rayed me to locate the stone which fortunately for me hadnt moved in 24 hours. I was prepped and naked. They forgot the shorts they give ya for the lithotripsy.  so they brought em and I put em on in the tank room.  I joked a lot and when I couldnt get the goofy gowns they put around me out of the way to get the shorts on without fallin over I jes threw em off and said.."look, You've all had anatomy correct? They said yes. I said "my anatomy is not typical however its pretty close to the schools Im jes gonna put these drawers on here ok? They all laughed.  They had a gurney next to the litho seat.  That is a loose term for more or less a recumbant bicycle seat with two leg supports. An overhead bar attached to a one ton hoist lifts the body into the air and places it into the Litho tub. (all this is done with powerful ultrasound and in a tank of water). My Urologist/Surgeon explained that the Nazis developed the sound focuser in WWII to bring down enemy planes.  I was not really comforted by that information but I thought the historical content was worth repeating. At first I thought he was gonna tell me is was used on jews who misbehaved. But No. 
     I grabbed the bar and pulled myself into the seat and then the anesthesiologist plugged me into the dope and thats the part I really like . Its like falling backward and I know in a minute that I'll be dreaming.... As I began to go I asked them all one more question, I said, "Is everybody happy?" and they all said YES! its FRIDAY!  I just said "well I feel safe now... and          I awoke about an hour and a half later in a recovery room.
not too much discomfort but my back is sore. (Like if somebody kicked me in the kidney) At least it doesnt hurt to pee...(thats next week again) I cant work till Wed now and that s the rest of my vacation till next May. Anything else that comes up is outta my pocket. (I HATE THAT!)
 
       Really great news is my new CD is at
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rexstratton2   
Please go and check it owt!!!! Its my verybest and Im sooooooooo proud.
Bowe


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home