Friday, July 09, 2004

Life as a rollercoaster

Its 12:05 am CDT. Im lyin in my bed, I'd been asleep maybe three hours...I awake, trembling, teeth chattering,shivering all over and its like 72 degrees in the bedroom and I'm covered with a sheet, a blanket, and a comforter. I wake the wife and ask, do I have a fever??? She feels my head and says MY GOD youre burning up. This is the third night of this. The first night Tuesday, my temp was 102. I took a couple asprin (knowing I had to make the Wed. Shift at the plant)and I fell back to sleep. I usually only sleep about an hour and a half because of my kidney stent, I have to piss that frequently.But I also usually go back to sleep pretty easily. I awoke Wed am at 4:30 took a shower to wash off the sweat and went to work feeling ok. Wed night a similar incident happened. But this time it was much less of a fever. About 100 F. But Last night this thing was RAGING. We got up and got dressed and went to the emergency room. We were there for three and a half hours. Well, I was anyway. They did blood work, and an X ray. (I saw my stent for the first time. Its over One foot long. I couldnt believe I was walking around with something that big stuck in my body.)My wife who had to work today asked me if she could walk home to go back to bed. We only live a few blocks from the hospital. They'd given me Tylenol, and some more Uterer relaxer and about 30 minutes after they cut me loose saying that i was not "Septic" meaning I had no degenerating body parts, and that my white count was a lil elevated, but that was because of the stent. They had no idea why I was getting the fevers, but told me to keep taking the tylenol and chill.
It was about 3:30 I guess when I left the hospital. I was really upset because they found nothing basically wrong with me but that visit was probably 500.00-700.00 bucks Out of which I have to pay about 20 %. The Urologist explicit orders were if there was any sign of FEVER or NAUSEA or acute PAIN I was to go there ASAP. Like to be told. We dont know why.
I mean I probably should have gone the first night at the first sign of fever, but after it broke I felt OK. So if I feel OK I keep on keepin on. Its completely depressing to be going back and forth to doctor after doctor year after year...(I know whine whine whine)
Seeing the stent was astounding. Its about an Inch in diameter at the exit of the kidney, a foot on down to the bladder, and coiled (how'd they get that in there?) at the bladder entrance.
Im not septic.
I'm Bowe....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home