Friday, May 28, 2004

Well Im Home

I'll have to set up a webshots place and link up the fifty thousand pictures I took of Estes Park Colorado and the Rocky Mountain National Park. I get a little stupid once in a while and forget that some presidents of this country have given us drones some nice shit to play with/in/around. I've been to Monticello and love that spread. I think Teddy was smart to set aside a large section of Colorado. It is so fabulously rugged and like I was on trail ridge road and up past the 10,000 foot level I met Skiers. How wack. Ofcourse my inability to motivate in the thin air was immediately obvious to our group. Two steps then rest. Two steps then rest. (all that pot I used to smoke coupled with a lifetime of doughnuts)
We stayed in the Holiday Inn in Estes Park and got a deal on the rooms for the week. I think we paid 46 bucks a night per double bed room and we rented three. Simply by the luck of the draw my wife and I got the room with the mountain view. It was phenominal. The entire community was phenominal. Extremely diverse from Chinese, to Korean to Mexican, to Anglos, to Swedes...We were up on Bear Lake with a group of Vietnamese kids who had every digital toy and yet they were laughing and intercommunicating with everyone and thouroughly enthralled with the frickin snow that was falling everywhere. I mean this is the latest in my life i've suffered snow in the springtime. It dumped at least three inches on the already foot deep snowpack. But it was so misty...Misty snow. The bus that takes you up from the main parking lot manages to stay real close to precipitous cliff curves and groans and squeaks along at fifteen to thirty miles an hour, I swear that i was back in East Moline, Illinois in 1963 and the driver was the same dood. We made it. Me and my wife walked around Bear lake where they have a walking trail, Its basically flat. But the air was thin and bein a flatlander with funky lungs I did a lot of breaks. There were some twentysomethings in tank tops and shorts. It was about 35-40 (F) when the sun came out. The wind was about 30 MPH and when the snow and clouds came it was freakin cold nah... we had jackets and sweatshirts on. It felt great overall though and when I got back here and was working outside this morning I went like a raped ape through whatever I did. Much more oxygen and energy.
Estes Park has a public television station that has community musicians, artists, and new age philosophers and promenent business people and historians. It was the very best I've ever seen. I saw Nina Story a singer/songwriter from Boulder do five of her songs, A couple old ones and three new ones. Very talented. She was a redheaded beauty with a vocal style similar to Maria Muldars if you know who I mean. Sometimes she even sounded a little like Nicolette Larson. Her lyrics were like my brotherinlaw Tims stuff. Real personal and relational in nature. Anyway shes done a couple European tours and is a regional celeb in Mid Colorado. Check out her stuff at www.ninastory.com not a waste of time by anymeans. One bar had an open mic night but I missed it. I played in the Lobby of the Hotel a couple of days when my kidney stones kept me from trapsing all over and got adulation from the listeners to my acoustic stuff that I was making up as I went along. I was so glad that I could hold perfect strangers in the Lobby and not have to be any big deal. That feels so good to me to know they liked it.
My daughter went on to Santa Fe with her uncle and aunt and then to Dodge city kansas and Kansas City where they'll visit her other aunt and 5 cousins. She's due home sunday. Its like flooding around here and more rain is expected tomorrow night. The rivers are wayyyyyyyyyy up and dammit my boat motor is screwed up. Or I'd go for a ride in the Mississippi Backwaters. Its times like these you can get to places you cant normally reach and get great pictures of the islands, birds and archetechture along the banks. And then again I got songs to work on,and an album to finish...
Mo later
Bowe.............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home