Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The existence of the Family

This is an opinion and totally unscientific. As is all that I am investigating. I would have done this at an earlier age but I was preoccupied with sex drugs and rock and roll. Unfortunately for you, if you care to read my rants, you get the investigation at its minimal peake. I am losing my faculties rapidly. Some are so diminished that I cannot remember what they were. But I must have had them. I used to be so smart. I know that these things do happen because I recall my first ex wifes lamentation that her pubic region had gotten extremely hairy by her early thirties. It didnt used to be that way...she said.
My father married my mother because she was attractive. He was horney and my mother was gullible. She was the thirteenth of Lituanian immigrants at the turn of the twentieth century and they became a group of coalminers in the eastern Pennsylvania mountains. The Poconos to be more exact. She was a catholic and an alcoholic. My father was the adult child of an alcoholic father he despised and a dominant mother who I believe was perverted. She clung to her relationship with my grandfather because of social pressure and tortured him everyday he lived, drunk or sober. My sister and I were sent to catholic church in our youth, and the attempts to indoctrinate us in catholic dogma were a total failure because there was no follow up at home. My father in his thirties and forties told me that he if he believed anything believed in reincarnation. That we returned at the grass growing above our coffins. Molecularly he may have been on to something. I am an alcoholic and have been without the drug since 1987. However an heart attack and subsequent surgery, diabetes, arthritis, and a host of other infirmaties has brought me to the place of considering my mortality and my philosophical outlook on my internal workings and my external environment. It doesnt get any better either.
I have had 3 wives, the first(eight years together) bore two sons who I dont know. I knew one for seven years and the other for five. We have no contact, and I get periodic phone calls from the younger one who is himself an alcoholic, and yet we do not know each other.
Their mother is an account on an Indian reservation in Houlton, Me. Both boys are gainfully employed presently and raising children of their own. As far as I can decipher. Wife number two was for a total of two months, but produced a daughter who is 16 now and just recently gave birth to a son.
I had no contact with this child until her mother showed up at my door in 2002 and introduced us. I fought for three years to keep her from getting pregnant, and living a life of drudge, but I failed. Too little too late.
Wife #3 and I have been together since 1988 and married since Feb of 1989. We like each other and enjoy each others company although we take different routes when it comes to religion and personal philosophy. Not so differently that we cannot reside together however. Because of the absence of stimulants or depressants and general maturity, we get along famously and we have a daughter who is in many ways, a fabulous example of what genuine love and affection can create in a human.
I am again getting visits from my other daughter and the father of the baby boy. I welcome these visits. I dont desire any control or input into their relationship now so perhaps I can enjoy my other daughter as well as I enjoy my live with me one, now that striving to keep her virginity is a war lost. I have mentioned that I have a sister? I disowned her after my mothers death. Her behavior was so uncivil I figgered I'd be better off not knowing her than, hating her ferever.
Mencken talks in one of his books about how its soooo unusual for people to be married and stay married and actually enjoy the relationship. I agree. Somehow fate came to me with an answer for companionship that fullfilled my every expectation. I got beauty and grace and intellect in the same person. She would tell you it was the work of a god. I say It was lust run rampant at first then cautious observation of her behavior that allowed me to take her in. And I got extremely fortunate in that I made a correct and sober choice of the person I wake up to daily and nightly.
Family is an abstract idea to me. It is rather a loose tying together of strangers with various outlooks and idiosyncracies. It is the cloistering of storms and joy, rage and peace, and the jews loving the arabs in seven rooms. I do fortunately own three vehicles as well. And I know the direction on I 80 to Colorado.
Bowe

3 Comments:

At Thursday, December 09, 2004 6:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Cherub!!!

I see a man who has been uniquely and abundantly graced with humility, by God, and who is not afraid, thru pride, to divulge his weaknesses and, in freedom, can speak openly about his shortcomings. He doesn't hide his failures under the pretense of being an accomplished or self-sustaining individual, who has 'it' all under control. He's searched, for a life-time, for that special person/partner in whom he can live out the dreams (inspired by God) that he's dreamed of her during his lifetime. It's apparent, that this is one area where the 'voice' of God has penetrated.

Also, I see a man who has been approached by the Light of God but who has not quite recognized His call. From my vantage point, this same man has a deep rooted hunger to find the origin of His search...'the' search for love, contentment, meaning, fulfillment and maybe, just maybe, thru his newly acquired sense that he IS vulnerable, he will recognize the life-long call of his Creator, Who has been beckoning him since birth. "His Word becomes literal..."Your weakness is My strength".

In Your brief but very poignant history, Rex, it appears that the sadnesses and hardships of Your life are the very tools that the Lord seems to be using to get Your attention. When I began reading these first paragraphs, I had an entirely different perspective then when I finished at the end. Our God promises, in writing, that faith does grow .."It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and threw into his own garden; and it grew and became a tree, and THE BIRDS OF THE AIR NESTED IN ITS BRANCHES." . Luke 13:19

Thank You for sharing Your very honest and touching history with us and for having the guts to be transparent in the divulging of Your personal crutches. You are one remarkable person in whom, I believe, it's more discernible that the pilgrimage to 'home' is becoming more of a reality in your life.

God bless You and thank You for sharing Your refreshingly-honest story.

Love,
Cherub

 
At Thursday, December 09, 2004 4:05:00 PM, Blogger Bowe said...

Thanks for the kindness cherub. I have my suspicions that it may be more dumb luck than god however. But Im open about that.
Rex

 
At Saturday, December 11, 2004 9:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does the porridge bird lay his egg in the air? Inquiring minds need to know...

Love and kisses

Chubbierubber

 

Post a Comment

<< Home